Since there are over 5000 people that will be coming to Seattle this year for PASS Summit 2012 I was thinking to put together a list of things to do around the city.
Please feel free to add on to the list and I will try to update the content.
First of all if you have not already done so, download the Guidebook app , search for Summit 2012 and load the official event schedule. This way any future updates will land right on your device.
- #SQLRUN organized by Jes Borland @grrl_geek This will be a 5K run on Wednesday, November 7th at 6:00 AM.
- Pike Place Market - about 6 blocks from the Convention Center on Pike St – It is one of the oldest continually operated public farmers’ markets. If you are a coffee addict like me don’t miss the second Starbucks location in the original brown color scheme.
- Seattle Monorail – You can ride a piece of history ($2.25 cash only/ one way) from Westlake Mall (2 blocks from Convention Center) to Space Needle and EMP
- Space Needle - Just like the monorail this iconic Seattle landmark was built for the1962 Seattle World’s Fair and featured in several movies like Elvis Presley’s It Happened at the World’s Fair
- EMP Museum (formerly known as Experience Music Project and Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame)
I also recommend Denny Cherry’s SQL PASS 2012 1st Timers Webcast (low res only). He has a few more tourist attractions on the slides.
I will continue to add items to this list, so come back soon.
It’s been a while since I decided to give back to the SQL Server community and start speaking at community events. I started on a journey as a speaker that has been incredibly rewarding and even though most of the time I paid for it out of my own pocket, the knowledge and the friends that I made on this journey were worth every effort. Next week two of my dreams will come true: attending PASS Summit for the first time and presenting my session titled “Optimizing SQL Server I/O with Solid State Drives ” at PASS on Friday, November 09, 2012, 1:00 PM – 2:15 PM in 302-TCC.
To put things in perspective, this year has proved to be truly amazing: Being mentored by Joe Sack blog|@josephsack from SQLskills, attending my third SQLskills Immersion Event – IE3, speaking at 6 SQLSaturday events in Madison WI, Chicago IL, Indianapolis IN, Iowa City IA, Kalamazoo MI and Minneapolis MN. On a personal note I have completed the Pewaukee triathlon and completed a Century ride (100 miles cycling) with Bicycling Club of Lake County.
I am extremely honored to be selected to speak a PASS Summit 2012, the greatest SQL Server conference of the year where I will join more 150 of the industry’s leading speakers while having the unique chance to meet over 2400 database professionals. I would like to thank the PASS Program Committee and Speaker review team for their support and for selecting my session .
I hope to see you next week at the PASS Summit and hope you can make it to my session or just come by and say hi and one of the other events.